Friday, November 6, 2009

Skin to Skin - Kangaroo

I'm so excited about my new baby care knowledge which was displayed last night on Grey's Anatomy! Our hospital is all about skin to skin contact during baby's first hour after birth = ) I learned a little about this during Breastfeeding class and the first portion of Baby Care Basics went into great detail on this topic. Basically they recommend keeping baby on the mother's chest (skin to skin) to help calm baby after delivery, maintain the infant's temperature, and ease into the introduction of breastfeeding. There are tons of medical benefits for baby they went into but I'll spare you that part = ) So it was hilarious that Travis and I learned all about this on Monday and then Thursday we watched Alex Karev on Grey's use this 'Kangaroo' technique to help save the life of a premature baby! Who knew we could just skip class and watch prime time television...

Speaking of class...Travis and I have our first class on Childbirth tomorrow! Once you've seen a video of a crowning baby you can never go back ; )

No comments: